my favorite and EASIEST linzer cookie.
Linzer cookie with a cup of tea and mint leaves… my mouth is watering.
This is the recipe i always use for the sugar cookie:
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
- **Roll the dough into log form. Remember to use flour at your working station, dough will get very sticky
- Put dough log into a plastic bag and let it cool in the freezer for an hour or so. This will make the dough easier to handle.
- Roll dough flat out and use cookie cutter of your choice. I use a flower cookie cutter that i have been using for 10 years now! I love the shape, i think its classic and pretty.
- Half of your cookies should have a hole, these are your top cookies. I use an apple core remover to stamp the circle. You can use any circle cookie cutter.**
- Place dough cut outs onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.
**TIPS: If you roll dough out to thin it will burn in the oven. Make sure to roll dough out EVENLY.
Keep your eye on cookies while baking. THEY WILL BAKE VERY FAST! I don’t let my Linzer cookies get golden because I prefer a less crispy Linzer cookie.
Before jamming your cookies, sift powdered sugar onto the TOPS only of your Linzer cookies (tops have holes). I prefer to powder cookies before jamming them so that you can see the jamclearly through the hole.
You can put any jam in your Linzer cookie. ALTHOUGH i recommend using a jam with preserves (raspberry). I use just enough jam so that when i put the cover on the jam doesn’t spill out of the sides.
I hope you enjoy! Please email me if you need help!!!!
photo credit: Toan